Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Monday Spotlight On: Mona of MonasBox

Okay, so I know it's not Monday.  I've been a little distracted with wedding stuff and the fact that I leave for Florida to get married in less than a week.  I'll be lucky if I even get my Monday interview up next week.  I need to figure out how to write and save these things for later....

This week, I interviewed Mona, an Etsy crafter who stays at home taking care of her children and uses the skills she picked up as a child to make lovely bags and more.  You can visit her shop here.   If you'd like to know who was the winner of March's Giveaway Wednesday, make sure to read all the way to end of this post!

Tell us about yourself, anything you think is worth knowing.
I have been a stay at home Mom since getting laid off 2 years ago, and have used my extra time to my advantage.



http://www.etsy.com/listing/70068049/yellow-with-coral-and-pleated-tote


What is your medium and how did you get into it?
I learned to sew and make jewelry from my Mom, who was a crafter herself and as I child I always helped her make her product and go to art fairs. Now I make more bags and children's clothes, and have always loved the design aspect of creating. I also love being able to stay home with my 3 year old son while I do this.


Where do you take your inspiration from?
I spent my college years in San Francisco and love being fashion forward. Anything I see that I love gives me the inspiration to work from. I probably get most of my inspiration from my own experience of needs. For example, I make large bags and always use my own bags, but have you ever lost your keys in your bag? I make key chain coin purses and have a custom clip inside my bag to attach them too so I can always find them. Or having a child, I know what is needed in a diaper bag, maybe a changing mat with a pillow padding? Done! 


What is your favorite piece of art you've created and why?
As for a favorite piece, they change so often. One of my first bags is one of my favorites and I used it so much that even after washing, it's too dirty to sell, so I guess I have to keep it.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/66129918/elegant-clutch-for-bridal-party-or


If you could have one person living/dead own a piece of your art, who would it be and why? 
One person who's style I absolutely love is Zoe Deschanel, and if she was into one of my bags, I would be so happy! Both her and her sister in Bones are very cute in there individuality, yet fashionably forward.
One piece of advice you've picked up along the way that you'd like to share (can be about anything: advertising, finding inspiration, etc). 
Do what you love, and love what you do" and life will be great! 
_____________________________________________________________
The winner of March's Giveaway Wednesday for a choice of a notecard set of Sway or Magnolia cards is Susan of www.susanwalkerart.blogspot.com.  Make sure to pop by her blog to congratulate her and check out her lovely illustrations!



No comments:

Post a Comment