Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Spotlight On: Nathan Bezner of Nightowl Pictures

Okay, this is the first of what will, hopefully, be a recurring Monday post.  Every week, I will interview one artist, fellow Etysian or pretty much anyone that will put up with answering my questions.  I figured I would start simple, with my fiance, who is a filmmaker/film editor/director and sole proprietor of Nightowl Pictures.  You can find his website here, which you should definitely go check out as soon as you're done reading this article.

Tell us a bit about yourself:
I was born in April, Anno Domini: 1981 (the second greatest year of the eighties for film, the first being 1986). My mom and dad, being grad-school kids, jumped me around the country every two years until we eventually ended up in Charlotte, NC. That's where I got my high-school education at a now nearly defunct Arts magnet, Northwest School of the Arts. Following the idea that art school is cool, I went to Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. After realizing that the school was not necessarily for me, I left, coming back to Charlotte where I screwed around at UNCC for two years. At this point, I was already getting work and so I left 16 credits shy of a diploma.

During my years of bumming around in Charlotte, I began experimenting with my video work, having already completed a number of short projects. I began cutting music videos using found footage and discovered my love of post-production. More recently, I've left the short-form music video world and moved back into short film work while dabbling in features. So long as I'm actually able to express myself as an artist, I'll be happy.

What's your medium and how did you get into it?

Film/video. I usually give my mom this credit, as she introduced me to many of the films I consider canon for the molding of my technique. However, my father should be given credit as well, as he had a love of film himself.

What's your favorite thing you've made and why?

I think Playground Love may still be my single favorite piece of work, even though it's copyright infringement art and exceedingly nerdy. I just think it's really pretty, and even after seven years, I'm still proud of it.

Watch it here.

What is one piece of art you wish you'd created and why?

The Fly (Cronenberg's). To me, it is a near perfect (if not perfect) film. I can always watch it.

If you had to give up your medium entirely and work in another, what would it be and why?

Wire sculpture, because I always enjoyed it. Form out of chaos interests me.

An important piece of advice you've learned along the way:

On your first film, you'll learn 90% of what you need to know for your career. For the rest of your life, you'll be learning the other 10%.

One random thing you would like to add:

Try not to burn bridges. It's nearly impossible to rebuild them once done (at least in the film world).

If you could have one person, living or dead, own your work, who would it be and why?
Stanley Kubrick, because he was a notorious curmudgeon. If he could enjoy something I made, anyone could.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I appreciate your use of the word "curmudgeon." :)