Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday Spotlight On: Kailey Lang of Bumbleboo Handmades

I first stumbled across Kailey's work on the "Pimp Your New Listings" Thread of the Regretsy forums.  I was hurriedly scrolling to the bottom of the page to post something of my own, when I scrolled past a series of awesome pictures of little domed cabochons full of brightly illustrated images of strange little colorful, cartoonish plants.  I followed the links to Kailey's shop, fell in love with her illustration style, favorited her shop, added her to my circle, and within a day was asking for this interview.  So there ya go.

Red Poppies Round Post Earrings


Tell us three things about yourself.
I'm an illustration student about to attend my last year of college to get my bachelor's degree. (Scary!)
I have an obsession with collecting cool exotic plants.
As a child I came home with a handful of four-leafed clovers almost everyday, and still find them in passing every now and then.

I once bought a botanical book in a used bookstore only to find out later it had several four-leaf clovers in it, but have never been good at finding them myself. What's your medium and how did you get into it?
My favourite mediums for painting are watercolour, ink and gouache (using them all together). I got into using them almost two years ago now. I used them in one painting and really ended up liking the result, so I experimented more with using the gouache more strongly in the pieces.

Of all those paintings, what's your favorite thing you've made?
Probably my Fisherman painting. I really disliked it when I finished it, but when I went back to it about a week later I was pretty happy with the result.

Fisherman Watercolor Illustration


That particular piece is a seascape, but you also have everything from owls to poppies.  From where do you take inspiration?
I take inspiration from nature and other illustrators, mostly.

Name one piece of art you wish you'd created and why?
That's a hard question. It'd probably be any one of Arthur Rackham or Edmund Dulac's pieces though, I think they're beautiful.

I love Rackham. His art is truly magical....  What are you doing when you're not crafting?
Tending to my plants, aquariums, or playing with my two wonderful cats.

If you had to give up your medium and pursue another, what would it be and why?
I would probably pursue oil painting, or more traditional printing methods. I've dabbled in linocut printing and silkscreening, and I'd definitely like to explore more with them.

Speaking of trying different things, tell us about a time you were making something that came out better than expected and how it happened.
It sounds a little cliche, but with almost everything I make I'm constantly unimpressed with how it came out. Often if I go back to it a week or a couple of weeks later, I'm happy with the result (like the Fisherman painting described above). However, when I first finish the piece, I'm not very happy with it. So if I'm ever impressed with something, it happens slowly! :)

Barn Owl Domed Glass Pendant


Who is one person living or dead, famous or not, who you wish owned one of your creations and why?
I feel uninteresting, but anyone who will appreciate what I make, is who I want to own it. :) If my Mum and Dad didn't have some of my stuff, I would say them. But they do!

How would you explain how to do what you do to an eight year old?
I like to paint things the way that I see them with the colours that I like.

That definitely explains it, though I myself wouldn't mind knowing how your turn your beautiful art into functional jewelry.  What's your favorite part of the process?
Definitely bringing colour into the piece. Whether it be digitally or traditionally. Though, traditional is more enjoyable for me.

One last, random thing you think people should know.
Appreciate everything like it's the last time you'll ever experience that thing.

Elemental Watercolor Illustration


Your shop address/facebook/Twitter/blog/website. Etc.
My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/bumblebooHandmades
My Twitter:  http://twitter.com/#!/kaileylang
My Tumblr:  http://kaileylang.tumblr.com/
My Deviantart: http://bumble-boo.deviantart.com/
Facebook Fanpage:  http://www.facebook.com/kaileylangillustration

If you could go anywhere on Earth at any point in time, where and when would you go and why?
Honestly, it's a bit boring maybe, but I'd go back to when I was a child... Any age at around 3-10 was great. Every day was an awesome experience of exploring and seeing new things. The memories I have from when I was a child are excellent, and I definitely wouldn't mind going back to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment