Sunday, May 15, 2011

All the Fingers of this Tree

There are two things I love that I don't talk much about loving: e. e. cummings poetry and trees.  Of course, anyone who's seen my art could guess the second and anyone who knows the first well enough has seen his work in many of the titles of mine.  

They both have a lovely disjointed rhythm, never rhyming, never quite balanced in the traditional way, but always splaying out smoothly.  

Recently, I did a large linocut and posted it to my shop, my first that has been over 4 by 6 inches.  It's very simple --a white tree against blue background, leafless and smooth-- but I like it, and I'm sure it won't be the last I do.  I, of course, named it for part of a line from a e. e. cummings poem.  Here is just the first stanza.

  now all the fingers of this tree(darling)have
hands, and all the hands have people; and
more each particular person is(my love)
alive than every world can understand
--e. e. cummings

And here is the linocut. And the link, of course.  

1 comment: