Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thoughts Over Coffee

Unemployment has made me lazy.  At least, for awhile, it did.  I lost a job I absolutely loved and probably could have gone on working happily at for years, even at such a low pay rate.  So, when it ended, I spiralled into a mini-depression for the first several weeks, and then was caught up in the last moments of wedding planning for the weeks after that.

The marriage and honeymoon itself distracted me and then I was swept into married life. You would think, after living together for a year, it wouldn't be all that different but, in a lot of small ways, it is.

Now, as you may have noticed, things are finally getting back to semi-normal.  Minus one job of course.  Which means you, dear reader, get stuck with a lot of these posts of me blathering about what I'm going to do with my life.

I have talked about this at no end with my husband.  Presently, he pays all of the household bills, with the exception of the few I brought into the marriage (cell phone and a couple of credit cards).  Our ideal dream is that either I make enough to split all the bills (and really start saving money) or that he get start getting good enough jobs that money isn't really a worry anymore.  Neither of those things is probably going to happen before my unemployment runs out.

However, I am lucky enough to have someone who asked me what it is I really want to do.  Ideally, of course, I would love to start making enough from Etsy and my art to stay at home, be a wife, and eventually, a mother (and if we don't succeed in having children, we'll rescue a bunch of dogs and cats). Rather than scoff, he simply encouraged me to try my best.   Of course, he also knows, I am wise enough to always have a back-up plan or two.  So, I have also applied to CPCC and filled out my FAFSA, considering getting an Associate's in Accounting wouldn't cost much more than I was making in a year before (a worthy investment) and also continue to search and apply for jobs, should somethng ideal come up (dream job at my level: bookseller, so if any of you know a regional manager at Barnes & Noble or anything, drop my name).  Tomorrow, I go to a resume building class at the Job Center.

I'm not sure where I am going to end up yet.  I am getting really focused back on art again and if I can keep up the momentum, making money enough from it, could be a dream within reach.  I also have not made up my mind one-hundred percent about going to school, but am treading forward on that path, regardless, knowing I'd rather be ready to take it, than realize I want to and cannot.

And if I could manage to do both, well, that would just be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment