Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thursday Spotlight On: Angelia & Christine of AngeliaChristine

I wish I'd known about these two crafty ladies a few months ago.  I could have had my tulip bouquet adorned with some of their jewels at my wedding or I could have bought some of their wine marker baubles for my mother-in-law who loves a good glass of pinot.  Since there are two ladies partaking in AngeliaChristine, both will be answering the questions of this truly nationwide venture with Angelia residing in Washington and Christine living in Hawaii. 


Baublesque Bouquet Jewelry




Tell us three things about yourself.Christine:1). is a professional, awarded photographer.
2). has dabbled in almost every art/craft there is (and if she hasn't yet, she probably will someday!)
3). neither of these things has anything to do with Angelia Christine Bridal Co. other than the eye for colour and craftiness that translates well into the bridal industry.
Angelia:1). can create beauty out of metal and high temperature torches.
2). has a commissioned painting hanging in a business in downtown Los Angeles.
3). neither of these things has anything to do with Angelia Christine Bridal Co. other than the eye for colour and craftiness that translates well into the bridal industry.

What's your medium and how did you get into it?Both Angelia and Christine have been artsing and crafting since they were wee lasses.  Their current mediums are focused on bridal accessories (bouquet jewelry, bridal jewelry and accessories).  We utilize our sum total of knowledge in our chosen mediums and bring that to the table in the bridal accessory business-silversmithing, copper work, wire wrapping, aluminum bending, color coordination, aesthetic values and try to keep pace with both traditional and current trends.  Classics never die and current trends are creating the classics of tomorrow.



Aquamarine Bouquet Stems


What's your favorite thing you've made?Christine: All the pre-professional crafts that hung in my grandparents' homes for decades whether it be sculpture or paintings.  The painting I did on a piece of cardboard that hangs in a friend's home in a frame to this day that I was throwing away as she caught me.  Those are my all-time favorites.
Angelia: I have a watercolor of a tape dispenser I painted when I was 19 that amuses me greatly.  It hangs above my monitor over the desk, I don't know if it is my favorite but I like it a lot.

From where do you take inspiration?Christine:  I usually stumble across it. Seriously.  Just being in a moment--the right time and the right place, the right glance out of the corner of my eye.
Angelia: My hyperactive imagination, "It's all hey! What if we take the pattern over there and twist it like this? Wouldn't that be cool?" Sometimes it is, sometimes it gets hidden under the bed.

Name one piece of art you wish you'd created and why?Christine:  I've really no wish to have created a piece of art by someone else, though I readily admire a great many.
Angelia:  The big sculptures stored in my imagination.

What are you doing when you're not crafting?Christine: Slumming it at the beach.  Really, life doesn't get any better than the warm sun nipping at your skin and the waves lapping at your feet. Sanctuary.
Angelia:  Working, cooking, writing, haunting the latest convention or festival.

If you had to give up your medium and pursue another, what would it be and why?Christine: Pottery, perhaps--I've been wondering what's it like to aim for a one-eared elephant.
Angelia:  Glass Blowing!  I love art glass.



Double Half Drop Pearl & Silver Necklace


Tell us about a time you were making something that came out better than expected and how it happened.Christine: This happens, but honestly, I don't recall anything truly remarkable.
Angelia: That happens mostly in baking.

Who is one person living or dead, famous or not, who you wish owned one of your creations and why?Christine:  If Ansel Adams owned one my black and whites, that would thrill me to no end.  As for our bridal accessories, I guess our comeuppance would be to have a celebrity pimp our wares, wear our wares, or be our spokesperson.  In the meantime, we are simply thrilled to know our everyday brides feel pretty platinum in their own right and their smiles are worth a thousand words!
Angelia: Everyone would be good, the more the merrier.

How would you explain how to do what you do to an eight year old?Christine:  If you can't teach it, you don't know it.  Place it in their hands and show them as they learn it.
Angelia:  Like Christine says, it's easier to show them.  One of the funniest jewelry design sessions was having a teenager sit with me and design her earrings.  Who would have thought a 15 year old would go for gray pearls?

What's your favorite part of the process?Christine: The end result and the smiles that it brings whether it's a great print or a perfect (for a bride) piece of jewelry or bouquet stem set.
Angelia:  I find the making part relaxing.  I run at my day job all day and so it's nice to be able to come home, sit down with a cup of tea and just concentrate on making something pretty.

One random thing you think people should know.We really enjoy what we do and are goofy as heck as a personal aside, but when it comes to business, we are all business and we take our brides seriously.  From first contact right through their wedding day.  We believe that no matter what a bride's budget, every bride should feel special on her wedding day and go out of our way to provide options at all price points, including regular giveaways via Facebook.  May is our anniversary month, we are actually doing a double giveaway this month to celebrate.

Your shop address/facebook/Twitter/blog/website. Etc.Etsy: http://AngeliaChristine.Etsy.com
Commercial Website: http://AngeliaChristine.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Baublesque
Twitterhttp://twitter.com/Baublesque
Blog (coming soon): http://blog.AngeliaChristine.com/

What did you want to be when you were ten?Christine: A veterinarian until I found out that once in a while you have to euthanize and I just never thought I could do that part of it.  I still have regrets for not following that dream.  Now as Angelia tells it, I am just a feral animal magnet and try to do my part, one lost critter at a time.
Angelia:  When I was four I knew I was going to be an artist, at ten I wanted to be a veterinarian.  Now I just make fun of Christine and her Dr. Doolittle ways.

1 comment:

  1. Their items are just beautiful! They are two of the sweetest women I have found on etsy and I just adore their shop. Thank you so much for featuring them. I enjoyed the article!

    ReplyDelete